Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mother's Day Tribute

I would like to say thank you Lisa for coming into my life and allowing me to put a smile and yours and your sons faces. I also thank you for humbling me and inspiring me to push forward harder then ever before! I am not sure if you caught it or you might have thought it was the wind (which I was trying to play it off as :D) but as you shared your story of the obstacles you have over come you truly did bring tears to my eyes..... You are an AWESOME MOM and an amazingly strong woman and you deserve kudos for all you have done for your son and not allowing the doctors to drag you down and just accept the negative.

This post is actually connected to my May 3rd post titled "True Direction" where I mentioned more to follow about the boy with CP. But I think today is perfect timing to share this story. However, I really don't like to refer to him as the boy with CP cause he really is overcoming his disabilities so he really should be the boy who is overcoming CP :)

So when you hear the story of what Lisa has over come thru their fight with Cerebral Palsy (CP) it is amazing. I don't know if I would have been strong enough to push forward as hard as she and several others I have talked to have.

At the age of 2 years Lisa was told her son would never walk. WOW what devastating news that would be to a mother and I can not even begin to imagine what that must have made her feel like. I personally think I would have been sad and devastated and may have given up at that point and just accepted the fact that my child would be wheel chair bound for the rest of his life. But, NO when the hospital offer her a wheel chair to take home with her son she REFUSED it and said NO my son WILL walk so how about you send me home with a walker instead. The doctors all thought she was crazy and pushed for her to take the wheel chair again she refused and went home with a walker. I am not sure at what age this happened but at some point with her working with her son he began to walk, he used that walker!

The part that saddens me is that they were actually kicked out of one of the state funded programs for physical therapy because her son was functioning too well..... How do you function tooo well??? How and why does this happen??? I get they have to free up room for other who are more disabled but isn't there a transitional program or something rather then just pushing these people out and say bye bye good luck...????? But, once again Lisa pushed thru and moved forward with her sons therapy and finding him another place to go in order to continue his progression forward.

Their next step forward was Therapeutic Riding which sounds as if they have found a wonderful instructor and therapist who is located in Reche Canyon near their home. She says he has progressed wonderfully since starting his riding. When he was here it was amazing to see him. The boy that doctor said would "never walk" was literally running around my yard going from horse to horse telling his mom "This is the one I want to take home" it was great to see his excitement. Then we put him on a horse and he just LITE up it was amazing to see him and the joy he felt while up on the horses back.



After he rode for about 20 mins and then he let us know when he was done. After, he got off the horse I turned to Lisa and asked her if she wanted to ride to and she looked at me for a second and said really??? I said yes of course so we got her up there also and she rode around for a bit too and really enjoyed herself. It was just a great day for everyone all of us that were involved were truly blessed to be a part of it all.

What a great day and an Inspiring Day!!!

1 comment:

  1. It's been awhile since I read your blog--for a long time there were no new posts or comments--but I log on today and there you are--with LOTS of news and some lights burning brightly at the end of the "tunnel."

    Glad to hear the TR program is still a dream. The Sun Country Horsemen are a GREAT group of people and working with the folks at Hidden River is another good idea. Not quite Apple Valley area, but certainly a place where horse people hang out. And all you need is to "get out the word."

    The picture of Lisa's son riding is very good. Love the dog along for "protection."

    Downsizing is a good idea, too. A lot of times we get too caught up in too much "stuff," and we get burned out (or bummed out) because it truly is more than one person, even with good friends and hearty volunteers, can handle. By then, the rest of "life" just goes on and then where are you?

    No, smaller is better. Size does matter. Eventually when the economy gets better and the government is out of our lives--I have enough people telling me what to do. I don't need my Uncle Sam telling me, too--and more people become enlightened on the idea of rescue and volunteering, perhaps UAWR will have satellite ranches and better neighbors. Ahem.

    Meanwhile, consider the blowing wind and sand "Nature's Dermabrasion" and take heart in the fact that hay prices are going down. Gasoline is up, but hay is down. That's a good thing, too.

    ReplyDelete