Saturday, May 23, 2009

UAWR Alumni - Jacob

I got some really great pictures and update from an Adopter the other day and wanted to share with all of you Jacob came into the UAWR program in April 2005.



Jacob's story does not seem to be an unusual story in that at one time he was considered to be a "crazy" horse due to his bad behavior with his handlers. It is unknown as to why he acted as he did??? Generally from what I have seen with a horse being "crazy" it is due to some type of pain or lack of training. Pain from a bit, saddle, harsh rider, chiropractic problems, etc.


I do not feel lack of training is the issue for Jacob as he had proven to us that he was reliable and dependable with kids and beginners in the arena and on the trail. Therefore he was placed for adoption.

Jacob found a home with a wonderful family here in southern California and is now being shown by a young girl. The family loves him dearly and he is being spoiled rotten with them! The part that I loved was when I asked her if it was OK to post the pictures of Jacob and her daughter to the Internet and her response was ABSOLUTELY, and she hoped that everyone out there seeing his pictures might just prompt someone else out there to give a chance to an older horse who is in need.

So many people are only willing to adopt the young ones. These older guys need a home too and many times they make some of the best horses you could possibly own especially for kids. The older ones have been there, done that, seen that. I can not count how many calls I get each month of parents wanting a young horse for their kids, or a young horse as a first horse. I wish they would give the opportunity to one of these older guys a horse at the age of 18 still has many years left to provide a wonderful learning experience for the kids.

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna cry! He looks so much like my old guy who I spent many hours learning with! I'm so happy to see such a wonderful success story! :)

    ReplyDelete